Senior Strategic Information and Monitoring and Evaluation (SI/M&E) Specialist
Job Requisition # 2023200298
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Senior SI M&E Specialist.
The Senior SI/M&E Specialist will support the implementation of surveillance systems strengthening activities for an anticipated CDC Global Health Security (GHS) opportunity that has the general objective to strengthen global capacity for molecular surveillance and outbreak response for foodborne, waterborne, and fungal diseases. The Surveillance and Outbreak Response strategy will include the following activities: 1) Waterborne Disease Surveillance Strengthening and Outbreak Response; 2) Genomic surveillance, data systems and outbreak response for fungal diseases; 3) Enteric disease surveillance strengthening, including case confirmation.
The Senior SI/M&E Specialist will provide technical support to staff and projects. Support technical requirements in monitoring and evaluation and quality assurance. Implement and monitor strategic and technical initiatives. Provide technical guidance around the issues, challenges, and strategies for improving access to quality data. Contribute knowledge products through the creation and management of reports, technical materials, and conflict-sensitive solutions. Working closely with project and Headquarter (HQ) teams, support projects by evaluating programmatic effectiveness, overseeing technical aspects, and providing technical assessment reports.
* Recruitment is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant is subject to donor approval.
This position will be responsible for providing technical guidance on the design, development, and implementation of the project M&E strategy, build capacity in country/regions to develop, manage and operationalize M&E systems and plans that are aligned to program strategy, and allow quality reporting and results dissemination.
- Provides project staff with overall technical direction and guidance in designing, planning, monitoring, data collection and analysis, report preparation and dissemination of project data in collaboration with the relevant key stakeholders as per the national, regional, and global standards as required by the donor.
- Supports technical aspects of projects including staff and partner capacity building.
- Monitors and maintains project protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials and reports related to technical area of expertise.
- Works closely with the team to ensure project implementation remains technically sound and adheres to company strategy and standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Develops or writes technical briefs, reports, or other necessary materials to facilitate research, best practices, policies, and procedures.
- Conducts analysis of project implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
- Collaborates with the research and evaluation team to interpret data sets and other
- Provides technical support in the development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention for research projects.
- Provides technical input on subject matter best practices to assist with implementation
- Assists with implementing components of the technical portions of the project plan
- Develops and monitors technical work plans and budgets.
- Monitors project deliverables and reports to supervisors.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff.
- Review M&E plans, DQAs and PMPs for quality and adherence to donor requirements.
- Coordinate the project regular QI data feedback reports including communication and following up with countries/regional program teams on data submission, validation, and utilization of feedback to improve programs.
- Ensure program data quality standard are met through coordinating data quality audits & assessments (paper & electronic) for the project.
- Provide any other SI/M&E technical support as required.
Business Development and Client/Funder Support:
- Provides final authorization and approval of the M&E technical portions of proposals and project design, based on the design and direction set by technical leadership.
- Collects data for inclusion in proposals, which consist of assisting with proposal research and developing proposal strategies.
- Draft proposals monitoring and evaluation plans.
- Ensures project activities are on track with work plans, with technical expertise informing project implementation.
- Collects financial and technical tracking data; prepares reports.
- Prepares reports and papers summarizing project results and analyzing data sets and technical assessment findings.
- Creates technical content (e.g., reports, presentations, manuscripts). Quality Assurance:
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with providing technical support for monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Development of scope of work and deliverables for partners, consultants, etc.
- Broader knowledge of quality standards
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to solve problems and implement corrective action as needed.
There are 31 FHI 360 development competencies, of greatest focus for this particular job will be:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) – Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshals people, time, and resource efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner and orchestrates multiple activities at once.
- People Management (Making Others Great) – Facilitate professional development of staff by providing challenging, learning assignments and opportunities. Shares and solicits feedback monthly at the very least. Helps establish compelling development plans. Assigns responsibility and accountability for tasks/decisions. Monitors process, progress, and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Creating and Managing Systems and Processes – Recognizes the need for standardization and balances client and organization need in systems design. Anticipates the effects of process change on people while optimizing task efficiency and simplicity.
- Employees are expected to possess or have high potential for development of these three fundamental competencies.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require review of various factors.
- Exercises good judgment with selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Decisions may cause delays and affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Identifies and raises issues to senior technical staff
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decision may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- Serves as team lead and may mentor other lower-level personnel.
- May supervisor junior level staff.
- Typically reports to an Associate Director/ Director.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Sciences, Public Health, Civil Society, Communication and Social Marketing, Economic Development, Education, the Environment, Gender, Health, Nutrition, Research, Technology and Youth or a Related Field.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Proficiency in dashboard development, data management and analytic software e.g. MS Excel, MS Power BI, Tableau, SAS, SPSS, Stata.
- Project Management (PM) Certification .
- Typically requires 6+ years of relevant experience managing data collection and technical assistance experience.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private organization.
- International or Domestic (US) Program Development or Program management experience
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluating complex projects that span multiple countries.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer/Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- 10% – 25%
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
How to Apply:
Interested candidate can apply and upload CV to our website here or visit Careers | FHI 360 to apply.