Department: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
Position: Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Senior Officer – Central Asia
Start Date: ASAP
Background on ACTED:
ACTED is an international Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with headquarters in Paris, France and offices in 38 countries worldwide. ACTED works together with local communities to respond to disasters, and supports resilience building in the form of promoting inclusive and sustainable growth, co-constructing effective governance, and supporting civil society by investing in people and their potential. ACTED has been present in Tajikistan since 1996, where it has continuously adapted its projects to the needs of local communities, working across a broad range of sectors from sustainable development, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Climate Change Adaption (CCA) and Natural Resource Management (NRM), to cultural initiatives, private sector development, access to finance and community empowerment.
Under the supervision of the Country Directors of Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, the Regional MEAL Senior Officer is responsible for supporting and building MEAL staff capacity to design, develop and implement appropriate and viable appraisal, monitoring and evaluation systems that are in line with ACTED’s global MEAL procedures, and follow-up on ACTED projects performance. The Regional MEAL Senior Officer will be based in one of the 3 countries while covering ACTED Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan missions.
Chain of Command
Under the authority of:
– Country directors of Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan
– Country MEAL officers
– Country MEAL Assistants
– HQ Paris (notably MEAL & Programmes department)
– Country Directors of Central Asia missions
– Country Project Development Manager/Officers
– Country Project Managers & coordinators
– IMPACT/REACH teams
– Implementing partners/ Partner Organizations
– External monitors/evaluators
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure the implementation of robust MEAL systems:
a) Provide technical support to the Country MEAL Officers on the design and implementation of appropriate data collection and analysis instruments, ToRs and methodologies;
b) Manage and update the regional MEAL workplan with the country MEAL units;
c) Support Country MEAL Officers on data analysis and reports for regional projects;
d) Support Country MEAL Officers in the development, strengthening, functioning and use of data;
e) Support Country MEAL Officers in the implementation, effective functioning, review and improvement of the Beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM), in line with ACTED standard Beneficiary CRM procedures; Train ACTED and partner staff on appropriate CRM procedures;
f) Ensure the MEAL policies and procedures as described in the ACTED MEAL standard guidelines are implemented by MEAL Officers; make sure that the tools are followed as applicable;
g) Support on the development of MEAL frameworks and proposals development;
h) Review MEAL reports and provide feedbacks to MEAL country teams;
i) Support on the consolidation of annual data for indicators and beneficiaries to report on the Annual Report;
j) Review and validate TORs for external evaluations and evaluations reports in the region in coordination with the HQ MEAL team
2. Supporting Country and Regional Capitalization and Learning
a) Document and share the lessons learnt and best practices on time and ensure that the knowledge gained contributes to the improvement of projects and influence the strategic development of future projects and activities.
3. MEAL Team Leadership and staff Capacity Building
a) Coach, train, and mentor MEAL staff in the region with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the MEAL team and providing professional development guidance.
a) Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to Country Directors and HQ MEAL Unit;
b) Ensure regular travels within the region when requested by Country Directors;
c) Perform any other related activities as assigned by ACTED Country Directors;
d) On request of the Country Directors, support MEAL teams through gap filling missions where necessary
|Key Performance Indicators
– % of monthly MEAL reports sent to Country Directors and HQ;
– % of regional MEAL workplans managed and updated weekly;
– % of project MEAL Frameworks provided feedback on;
– Number of learning events held to capture best practices and lessons learnt organized/facilitated within the last 12 months;
– % of
– Number of learning documents consolidated within the last 6 months.
– Number of ACTED staff and partners trained on CRM
– Number of trainings provided to country MEAL teams
– Number of gap filling missions carried out in the last 12 months
- Diplomacy is required for all interactions; this includes following the chain of command and never circumventing the program and the Country Director’s authority in terms of advising, reporting and the like;
- Impartiality, objectivity and confidentiality are imperative; without prior authorization assessment reports should not be shared and kept within the AMEU unit;
- Flexibility and adaptability are essential, as well as the ability to plan, take initiative and organize work independently.
- Understanding the nature of the work carried out by programs is necessary for ensuring the relevancy and usability of the reports produced. Therefore, a proactive and self-motivated attitude towards gaining a good understanding of ACTED programs is essential; In addition, some prior knowledge of project specifics practices (Technical skills) is strongly desirable;
- Willingness to learn and capacity to innovate and strengthen the department: Regional Senior AME Officer must be inventive and eager to improve his or her own skills, and be capable to adapt, shape and develop tools best suited for ACTED’s activities; as well as be eager and capable to develop SWOT analysis and new strategies to further improve the department and its procedures.
- Competency in all computer-related tasks including Word, Excel (in particular functions (VLOOKUP, COUNTIF, and coding), PowerPoint presentation and E-mail programs is required. In cases where these skills have not been acquired the monitors should have the capacity to learn them quickly, with the support of the Country Director;
- Ability to travel to the field for data collection and spent at filed at list 30% of work time, cross-checking the data and provide training to field staff;
- Proficiency in English is a requirement, the local language(s) is an advantage;
- Good organizational, coordination and communication skills with international and national staff and rural communities are essential;
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in related field. With minimum 1-year experience in management.
- Submission of application:
Interested candidates should send their resumes and cover letters to the following email address email@example.com with “Regional Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Senior Officer – Central Asia” in the subject line and submit ASAP the following items (in English):
- Cover Letter expressing your interest, specifying the position applying (word document);
- A Curriculum Vitae (Not more than 2 pages) – mobile and email address included (word document).
- a) Shortlisting will be done on rolling basis.
- b) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- c) ACTED has right to hire before the stated deadline.
Deadline: July 5, 2022
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.